Department of foreign philology
|Artykbaieva Fazila Ilmarovna
Head of the department
Candidate of philological sciences
office 407 building A, number 27a Tokaev street, Shymkent
+7(7252) 53-71-52, 8707-1231681
The mission of the Department: Worthy education for future professionals in the field of foreign language education to meet the needs of society and labor market.
Policy and goals in quality.
The Department follows modern trends of education development, through the use of active teaching methods, contributing to the formation of universal and professional competences of students.
The purpose of the Department is to prepare competitive personnel on the basis of intellectual potential of a personality in the field of foreign language education.
The objectives of the Department
• to-increase students ' motivation to learn a foreign language;
• to form and develop multicultural competence;
• to organize and conduct scientific-practical and creative activities in foreign languages;
• to develop and form language skills in the professional field;
• to foster a tolerant attitude towards other cultures values.
• to modernize the content of education and apply modern technologies in the educational process;
• to improve language training and pedagogical skills of the teaching staff of the Department;
• to develop international cooperation in the field of scientific research of the faculty of the Department;
Qualification characteristics of a ‘5B011900 – Foreign language: two foreign languages’ bachelor
The sphere of professional activity
A bachelor carries out his/her professional activity in the sphere of foreign language education in the field of secondary and postsecondary professional education, which ensures the development of personality by means of a foreign language.
The objects of professional activity
The objects of professional activity of BA graduates are educational organizations of continuous and successive foreign language education:
- primary, secondary and profile school;
- specialized school;
- secondary technical and professional educational organizations.
The subjects of professional activity
Subjects of professional activity of the specialty include:
- organization of educational process of the basic main foreign language;
- organization of educational process of the basic foreign language in the context of intercultural communication;
- organization of educational process of language for special purposes;
- organization of educational process of practice of writing and speaking of the main foreign language;
- organization of educational process of a second foreign language.
Professional activities of 5B011900 – Foreign language: two foreign languages:
Bachelors can perform the following professional activities:
- educational (pedagogical): the functions of a teacher of two foreign languages, based on international standard level requirements to formation of learners’ foreign language competences;
- experimental research: study of scientific-methodical literature, familiarization with the advanced experience of foreign language education, its generalization, the experiments with the introduction of their results in the educational process;
- managerial: planning of the content of foreign language education at different levels; define methods of organizing and conducting the educational process; management and monitoring of the quality of formation of foreign language competences;
- socially-pedagogical formation of the multicultural personality with a strong outlook and thinking;
- educational: implementation of educational work in accordance with the laws, regularities, principles, and educational mechanisms of the pedagogical process; to develop an ability to plan extra-curricular educational work, to identify and solve specific educational objectives, select and use a variety of forms and methods of education; to build relationships with co- students and teachers working in the class, and with their parents; to work out own approaches to the process of education and upbringing;
- teaching technology: information literacy; possession and use of new technologies (including multimedia means of teaching foreign languages) in the educational process.
Functions of professional and pedagogical activity
The bachelor should possess the functions of professional and pedagogical activity focused on an individual student:
features of goal-setting, including communication training, educating, and developing functions;
operational and structural features: Gnostic (research), design and planning, and organizational.
Standard tasks of professional activity
Based on fundamental knowledge of theory of methodology of teaching foreign languages and branches of knowledge basic for methods of teaching (linguistics, psychology, pedagogy, psycholinguistics) a bachelor should be able to formulate and solve professionally oriented teaching and educational tasks:
- analytical and prognostic
- educational and research character.
Direction of educational professional activity
The main areas of professional and pedagogical activity of a teacher of two foreign languages at secondary school are:
- organization of educational process of foreign languages teaching in primary, secondary, profile school, school with advanced study of foreign languages (including the number of subjects taught in a foreign language);
- conducting extra-curricular work in a foreign language;
- carrying out educational work by means of a foreign language;
- educational-pedagogical activity in the system of integral pedagogical process of school;
- his/her professional and pedagogical qualifications improvement; to be familiar with the latest information technology.
The content of the professional - pedagogical activity consists of the following professionally significant skills of teachers of foreign languages:
- to carry out professional activities aimed at developing learners as secondary linguistic personalities who are capable to reflect foreign language picture of the world by means of the target language educationally, psychologically and methodologically correctly;
- to study the individual personalities of pupils;
- to possess self-reflection and to be able to form pupils’ reflexive abilities;
- to plan their own professional activities taking into account modern requirements to the educational process and on the basis of objective regularities of mastering foreign languages by learners; to select authentic materials, including cross-cultural and cultural nature, and methodically interpret them;
- to organize foreign language communication in the classroom using creative, interactive forms of student work;
- to create a favorable psychological climate in class, contributing to the disclosure of individual capabilities of each student and stimulate the development of pupils’ emotional sphere of personality, their creative, cognitive and language abilities, and social skills to interact with others;
- to use control-correcting mechanism meeting the requirements of the international standard.
Requirements to bachelors’ competence on specialty 5B011900 – Foreign language: two foreign languages
A bachelor should:
be aware of:
- education as a General human value;
- language as a special social phenomenon;
- the linguistic system of a foreign language as a historically holistic education;
- the relationship of language and culture;
- the communicative nature of language;
- the role of a foreign language in today's multicultural world;
- the specifics of communication as a special kind of activity;
- the essence of the concept "intercultural communication" and its main types;
- cross-cultural, cultural and linguo-cultural material about the target language country;
- orthographic, orthoepic, lexical, grammatical and stylistic norms of the languages studied;
- socio-cultural norms of behaviour accepted in the country of the studied language;
- inventory of language means and rules for operating them;
- paralinguistic and extra-linguistic elements in interaction and mutual enrichment of languages;
to be able to:
- use different methods and forms of communication activities (oral, written and extra linguistic);
- use language means in accordance with the objectives, place, time, and communication sphere adequately the social status of the partner in communication;
- understand the utterance in meaningful semantic units;
- plan his/her speech behavior and convey information in a coherent, logically reasoned statements;
- build his/her speech and non-speech behavior in accordance with socio-cultural specifics of the country of studied language;
- use various types of discourse;
- control their speech actions and speech actions of their partners in communication;
- use different reading strategies/comprehension of authentic texts;
- carry out self-education and self-cultivation to master the target languages;
- carry out actions of an intellectual nature: to compare, to classify, to group, to anticipate, etc. some language information;
- represent their country and culture in the face of foreign intercultural communication: to lead a "dialogue of two cultures";
to have skills to:
- correctly use the language material in all types of communicative speech activity;
- use of bibliographic and reference materials;
- to use e-learning tools, electronic textbooks, electronic dictionaries, electronic mail, etc.;
- independently organize their activity in mastering a foreign languages;
- use linguistic and contextual guess;
- observe verbal and behavioral etiquette in accordance with the rules adopted in the countries of target languages;
- to use self-control and self-assessment of levels of foreign language proficiency;
to be competent:
a) to use foreign language as means of intercultural communication in the context of the entire complex of communicative competence, namely:
1) linguistic (language);
3) discursive (speech);
b) in professional and educational activities in working with different age groups of learners, using appropriate teaching technology and by reflection for self-improvement;
C) socio-professional communication: in interaction with others and the manifestation of tolerance, ethics and speech culture;
g) to develop the trainees in the field of environmental protection and ecological culture;
d) in the sphere of socio-political and economic life in Kazakhstan: to observe normative-legal acts in the field of education and culture, using modern management theory, information technologies, basics of management and marketing.
The department has 29 teachers (2 PhD doctors), 8 candidates of sciences, 1 associate professor (HAC), 13 master's degrees.
The department has close ties with such universities as the Institute of Linguistics, Russian Academy of Sciences (Russia), Moscow State Linguistic University (Russia), the Peoples' Friendship University of Russia (Russia), the USDI Malaysia University and many other foreign universities.
The third year student Sarmanova Bassima studied the summer semester in the framework of academic mobility in Malaysia.
3rd year student Gafsalimova Diana went to Portugal, the University of AVEIRO.
On October 26, 2017, President of the South Kazakhstan Pedagogical University, Yunussov Madiyar Bakhtiyarovich, was received by the rector of the University of Aveiro, Mr. Manuel Antonio Cotao De Assunsao, where the issues of passing foreign scientific internships by undergraduates and doctoral candidates, as well as the realization and development of the academic mobility program were discussed.
A language game is one of the effective methods of teaching foreign languages.
In April 2014, the Olympiad in the German language on the basis of the language game "New Amici" was held. It was conducted by Mr. Maxim Menshenin. He is the coordinator of the Goethe-Institute and came to our university as part of an international program for teaching German in schools and universities in Shymkent.
In March 2016, a German teacher, famous writer Robert Prosser, came from the Goethe Institute (Germany). Students of the groups of the specialty 5B011900- "Foreign Language: Two Foreign Languages", who chose German as the second foreign language listened to his saturated lectures with pleasure.
Students of the specialty are graduated with an academic degree of Bachelor of Arts in education in specialty 5B011900-Foreign language: two foreign languages. They carry out their professional activity in teaching foreign languages in secondary general and post-secondary professional education establishments.
The objects of professional activity of bachelors on the specialty 5В011900- Foreign language: two foreign languages are educational institutions of continuous and successive foreign-language education:
- Primary, secondary and specialized school;
- Specialized school;
- Secondary technical and professional educational organizations.
Bachelors on the specialty 5B011900- Foreign Language: two foreign languages can perform the following types of professional activity:
- Organizational and management;
- Social and pedagogical;
- Educational and technological.
Functions of the professional activity of a bachelor of education in the specialty 5В011900- Foreign language: two foreign languages are the following:
- Teaching foreign languages in educational organizations in accordance with the objects of professional activity;
- Conducting extra-curricular work in a foreign language;
- Implementation of educational work by means of a foreign language.
Office No 407, building A, Number 27A Tоkaev str., Shymkent